Pet News Corner
NO TINSEL! - If swallowed by dog or cat, tinsel and ribbons can
cause severe damage to intestines and possible death.
keep tree well watered so needles do not become dry and
create a fire hazard
use safety approved lights
always turn off lights when leaving home
tree fertilizer added to water can be toxic if ingested
be sure that tree ornaments are well secured so they
cannot fall onto floor and be consumed (some dogs will even eat glass
do not leave wrapped food items under tree, dogs will
be able to smell food and will ravage the package
exposed electrical cords, if chewed, are very dangerous
to puppies, kittens, rabbits
Supervise Hanukkah and
other holiday candles while they burn.
Be sure to keep open flames out of cats’ reach.
Latkes are very greasy
and can cause pancreatitis in dogs.
KEEP CHOCOLATE AWAY FROM DOGS!
theobromine is the toxic agent found in chocolate, it
affects the body similarly to caffeine
baker’s chocolate (bittersweet) is the most dangerous,
“white” chocolate does not contain cocoa powder and is therefore not as
dangerous except to cause vomiting and diarrhea
the onset of effects can be seen from 4-24 hours after
signs of chocolate toxicity include: vomiting, tender
abdomen, hyperactivity, seizures and death are possible
If your dog eats chocolate, call your veterinarian
Other food items that are unsafe for dogs include
raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, and garlic. Xylitol, an artificial sweetner found in
sugarless gum and baked goods can be fatal if ingested by dogs.
If your pet has
ingested something toxic, call the ASPCA
Poison Control Center at
(888) 426-4435. There is a $60 consultation fee, but it is well
worth the life of your pet.
We wish you and
your pets a happy and healthy holiday season and New Year!